Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Don't tell me people can't make a difference. The hue and cry over fireworks closed down tents and got dangerous explosives off store shelves in Las Vegas and across New Mexico. My thanks to all who showed good sense by refusing to sell fireworks this year.

We don't need loud noises to celebrate Independence Day or the danger of setting something on fire. What we want is for everyone to be safe and for our military personnel to come home. In this global society it only makes sense to be... well, sensible.

It's difficult to believe that in this enlightened age we can't all agree to live and let live. You don't have to be like me to be okay, nor do I have to be like you. All I have to be is the best person I know how to be and to treat others with dignity and respect. I can't speak for the rest of the world or make decisions for anyone else, but what I do and how I do it can make a difference, just as all those who spoke out against fireworks this year made a difference.

Still want to set off some fireworks? Make your 4th of July sparkler be a kind word, your bottle rocket a hug and your firecracker a smile. You'll set off a cascade of happiness.


Free e-book of Tiger Lilly
I'm looking for honest reviews of Tiger Lilly written by independent reviewers. If you're willing to read Tiger Lilly and write a review, send an e-mail to fsvandermeer@gmail.com. I'll send you a free PDF of the book. All I ask in return is a review of the material which will be posted on my website and on other appropriate sites. This offer is limited to the first seven people who respond.

More to come
Writers Bloc, I hope, will indeed become a platform for writers to comment and share their thoughts about writing, publishing and getting their work read. It's an uphill battle in a small market. With the internet that market is broadened considerably, yet still presents major challenges. I read recently on a credible website that more than 500,000 e-books have been published in the last twelve months. Wow. Bound book publishing numbers are less, probably because the cost is greater and odds of success of any book in this age of digital publishing is equivalent to the odds of winning the lottery... times ten.

I'm not discouraged. I believe there is a place for my books in the library of anyone who likes a good story and great characters.

Follow me
Please follow Writers Bloc. Whether you are a writer or a reader you will find interesting content on this blog and on my website vandermeerbook.com. Look for upcoming events that will include how to write press releases, develop an ad campaign, create a work plan for stay-at-home moms and other subjects.

On-site workshops will be held in Las Vegas, NM at $25 per participant. Details will be posted on my website three weeks prior to workshop dates. A minimum of five participants will be necessary to hold a class. If you are interested in any of these subjects, e-mail me at fsvandermeer@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment